It’s the first day of March and there is talk of a Nor’easter heading my way. Sounds just about right for March in New York and for a cozy warm drink for staying inside!
Maca has been on the wellness scene as a supplemental ingredient for some time, but I haven’t tried it until recently. This Peruvian root has been known for improving vitality, energy and balancing hormones. If you’re interested in more detail on its benefits check it out here.
While trying out different recipes with Maca, I definitely noticed feeling more alert and energized but not in a jittery way! So I’d caution if you’re new to the ingredient, start in small amounts and build it up if needed and avoid it at night in case it interrupts your sleep.
In my research for recipes incorporating Maca, I noticed a lot of pairings with chocolate, and while you can stir it into just about anything, I had to try it with chocolate – specifically Mexican Hot chocolate which I’ve always loved! The spicy, decadent treat with a kick, always feels luxurious. And this version is anti-oxidant packed thanks to the high-quality cacao, cinnamon and cayenne spices.
Hope you try this delicious treat and stay cozy as we head into March!
Maca Mexican Hot Chocolate
Serving size: 1
- 1 cup of plant-based milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 tablespoon of raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoons of Maca powder (I’d start with 1 if you’re new to the ingredient)
- 1 tablespoon of honey (adjust to your liking)
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of Himalayan salt
- Heat plant milk to simmer
- Add all the ingredients and whisk it together so it all combines
- Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy!